I'm Baaaack

Sunday, November 15, 2009

I have realized that the only thing worse than being in the hospital for
55 days is having to go back. On Wednesday afternoon I was chilled out
on the couch writing emails when I started having stomach pains that
were the same as the pancreatitis pain I had last week. My mom took
me to the emergency room where I could not even register because I
was in so much pain. It was so frustrating having to give them all of the
meds I was on, transplant information, having blood drawn, and an iv
started through all of the pain and waiting on some medication for
relief. When I was given some pain meds, they did not work until the
second dose when I was taken for xrays. Once again, the pain subsided
after about 45 minutes, and I felt perfectly normal. Dr. Mandras came
by and wanted me to stay for the night since she was on service and so
they could run more tests. My labs all came back normal; it was not my
pancreas this time. She thinks that it could be physical withdrawals
from the pain meds I was getting in the hospital for so long, since that
usually causes gastric problems. I was back in TSU by 6:00 p.m. They
didn't want me to eat too much in case they ordered an ultrasound the
next day. It was funny being up there, alone, and mobile. I went for a
walk around the unit got a snack and a drink, then caught up on the
previous night's Nip/Tuck. I actually enjoyed the alone a lot.

The next morning, after they informed me I wouldn't need an
ultrasound, they were able to take me off of the iv. So, I got dressed
packed up my stuff and went for a walk down to the atrium and medical
library until they called me up to tell the doctors were rounding. It was
GREAT to go walking somewhere out of TSU alone. I had not been able
to do that in two months!

A group of psychiatrists came by to evaluate me for the withdrawals
and insomnia. That was hilarious. They are so different than dealing
with medical doctors. This group recommended changing my sleeping
pill, yet again. But, I probably won't be sleeping normally again until my
prednisone dose is drastically lowered. Before I was discharged they did
lower my dose another .5 mg because my biopsy showed ZERO humoral
rejection and still just a little bit of cell rejection! All of the IVIG,
plasmapheresis, and Rituximab was worth it! The tech that did my echo
said that my heart looked "beautiful." I was excited when he called me
back because he was the one I had mentioned before that had done all
of my early pre-transplant echoes.

My mom stayed with me all of last week so that Zac could go to work for
a few days and take Finn for his four month check up. It was a nice
change of pace. I was able to get out a little bit, even though Tara
directed me that I could not get out of the car, and I had to wear my
mask if I didn't want any complications preventing me from going home
for Thanksgiving. At least I got to escape the apartment a couple of
times. It is actually feel home-like here now that I have my Tyler
candles going in every room and some Thanksgiving decorations. Plus,
my mom got me the coffee maker I really wanted, so it really smells like
home. Tiffany came to stay Friday for a girls night and commented that
it smelled like me in here. =) She had been over here before I moved in
and seen/smelled the "before." Hehe. Zac came in a couple of hours
early to make sure I was sticking to my regimen; so we, well she, ran
some errands while I rode shotgun. I got a couple of books from Barnes
& Noble and picked up a few things for Finn from Target that required a
girl who knows me so well to choose, since leaving anything color
related to a man is not a good idea.

Now I am laid back watching the Saints game while Finn naps and Zac
cooks. Finn has started to try mimicking my facial expressions, and it is
hilarious. He is babbling non-stop and playing with everything on which
he can get his chubby, little hands, including his bottle. I have labs and
a doctor visit Tuesday, but my next biopsy and isn't until the
Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Hopefully, they will let me come home
without waiting on the results, at least for a day or two.

I MAINLY WANT TO GIVE A BIG SHOUT OUT TO MY AND ZAC'S FRIENDS
WHO HAVE ORGANIZED THE IRON BOWL DRAW-DOWN NEXT WEEKEND.
YOU HAVE ALL ALREADY DONE SO MUCH AND CONTINUE TO AMAZE US
EVERYDAY WITH YOUR KINDNESS, GENEROSITY, AND FRIENDSHIP. WE
ARE THANKFUL FOR FRIENDS LIKE YOU EVERY SINGLE DAY.